I want to start a website or blog. Where do I begin?
What happens after I purchase a theme?
What platforms are your themes for?
Our themes are designed for self-hosted WordPress.org. Scroll down on this page for more information about WordPress.org.
We do not offer themes for Wix, Weebly, Shopify, Showit, or Squarespace. We don’t have plans to expand to other platforms at this time.
What’s the difference between WordPress.org and WordPress.com?
WordPress.com and WordPress.org are similar in a lot of ways, so it’s easy to get them confused. Our themes are only compatible with self-hosted WordPress.org.
Click here for a detailed explanation on the differences between WordPress.com and WordPress.org.
Do your themes only work on ‘.org’ sites?
No. It’s a common misconception that to use WordPress.org, you to have a domain ending in ‘.org.’ Absolutely not! With WordPress.org, you can use any domain extension: .com, .net, .co – the possibilities are endless. 🙂
How can I tell if I’m using WordPress.com or WordPress.org?
There are a couple of ways.
- The easiest way to determine if you’re using WordPress.org or WordPress.com is to ask yourself this: did I purchase third-party hosting (i.e. through GoDaddy or Bluehost) or did I sign up directly on WordPress.com? If you purchased hosting, you’re using WordPress.org. If you signed up on WordPress.com, then you’re using WordPress.com.
- Another way to tell is to add /wp-admin to your domain. For example, if your domain is mywebsite.com, go to mywebsite.com/wp-admin. Once on the login page, hover your cursor over the WordPress logo. Look at the bottom left corner of your browser. It will say either WordPress.org or WordPress.com, which will let you know which one you’re using.
If you’re still not sure which one you’re using, contact us and we can help!
Are your themes compatible with WordPress.com?
No. WordPress.com does not support third-party themes, even if you have a custom domain or a premium account. You must have a domain, hosting, and WordPress software installed on your domain to use a 17th Avenue WordPress theme.
UPDATE 2018: The Business Plan on WordPress.com now allows themes. You’re welcome to install a 17th Avenue theme on the Business Plan, but whenever possible, we highly recommend using self-hosted WordPress instead.
What is theme installation?
Theme installation is an optional service we offer for our WordPress themes. Instead of you setting up and configuring your 17th Avenue theme on your website, our team takes care of everything for you!
Installation is especially helpful if:
- You’re new to WordPress and aren’t confident working in the WordPress dashboard.
- You don’t have time to dedicate to properly set up your theme.
- You prefer that your theme is set up correctly from the get-go.
What’s the difference between Premium and Simple installation?
We offer two different “types” of WordPress themes in our shop. They are:
Each type of theme has its own corresponding installation package. So that means:
- If you purchased a Premium WordPress Theme, you need Premium WordPress Installation.
- If you purchased a Simple WordPress Theme, you need Simple WordPress Installation.
To clarify, Simple Installation is NOT available for our Premium WordPress Themes. Vice versa, Premium Installation is NOT available for our Simple WordPress Themes.
Installation for our Premium Themes costs more because those themes have tons of features and require much more extensive setup. Our Simple Themes are just that – simple – and don’t require as much setup. 🙂
How does theme installation work?
- Purchase the installation package that corresponds to the type of theme you purchased (either Premium or Simple).
- After placing your order, fill out the Premium Installation Form or Simple Installation Form with all of your details and preferences.
- Once we receive your form, your installation will be booked into our schedule. Installation will be completed within 5 to 10 business days (from the date we receive your installation form).
- After we install your theme, you’ll receive an email letting you know installation is complete. Then you’ll be ready to launch your beautiful new website!
How long does installation take?
Once we receive your form, your theme will be installed on your site in 5 to 10 business days. Installation typically takes place in the afternoon (PST).
If you purchase theRush Installation Upgrade, your theme will be installed within 2 business days of receiving your installation form. Rushed Installation does not include weekends. I.e. if you purchase on a Saturday, installation would be completed on Monday or Tuesday.
Please note that if we receive the incorrect login information on your form, installation may be delayed.
Can I purchase installation later?
Absolutely! You can come back anytime and purchase theme installation – you don’t have to purchase it with your theme. In fact, we recommend that you try to install your theme yourself first following our detailed setup guides. If you’re having trouble or finding that the theme setup is beyond your comfort/skill level, you can always come back and purchase installation at a later time.
Does installation include customizations?
No, theme customizations are not included with installation (colors, fonts, layout changes, etc).
However, we can usually accommodate SMALL changes/requests when doing your installation. Examples would be removing a widget or moving a widget to a different location. Please put any requests on your installation form. Anything requested beyond minor changes will cost extra.
If you’d like us to customize your theme, please see our Theme Customizations page.
How does buying a theme work?
- Once you have a domain and hosting, choose a theme you love and purchase it.
- After placing your order, you will receive an email with a link to download your new theme.
- Unzip the file to access the theme files and instructions inside.
- Follow the included Installation Instructions and Theme Documentation to set up the theme on your site. If you need help, our support team is always happy to answer your questions.
- Launch your beautiful new website!
What’s the difference between Premium and Simple Themes?
Can you help me choose a theme?
When selecting a theme, we recommend going with the theme that has your favorite homepage layout, or the layout that works best for your needs. The homepage is the most unique differentiator between themes. It helps to try to look past colors, fonts, and images in a theme (even though that can be hard!), as those can always be changed to fit your brand.
Another thing to keep in mind: just because a theme demo is geared toward “fashion blogging” or “travel blogging” — does not mean that theme is only suitable for that one niche! Our themes are flexible and most themes can work for ANY niche. Changing images, colors, and fonts can completely change how a theme looks and feels. Think of the theme you choose as a starting point, a blank canvas. You’ll be able to customize your theme with your content, branding, & personality to really make it your own.
Are your themes mobile responsive?
Yes! All of our themes are fully mobile responsive and designed to display & function beautifully on all mobile screens. Feel free to open the demo site on your mobile device to test it out, or visit Responsinator.com.
Is the Genesis Framework included?
Our themes are child themes of the Genesis Framework (What is Genesis?). The Genesis Framework provides a secure, search engine optimized foundation for your website.
The Genesis Framework is completely free. You’ll be instructed on how to download Genesis in the setup docs for your theme.
Can I use my own logo?
You betcha! Every theme comes with instructions for how to upload a custom logo into the theme.
Can I change colors & fonts?
What happens to my content when installing a new theme?
Your existing content is 100% safe when you switch to a new theme – nothing will be deleted. Your posts, comments, photos, pages, and widgets will all remain intact.
Can you set up my theme for me?
Can I use a theme on multiple websites?
Yes. Our themes can be installed on an unlimited number of websites for Personal Use. Personal Use refers to sites that you personally own/operate, including business websites. For example, you could have a personal blog, a business website, and a second business website – all using the same theme license.
The only circumstance in which a new theme license needs to be purchased is if you are installing the theme on a client’s website. In that case, you will either need to purchase a second license, or your client needs to purchase their own license.
Can I use a website-style theme as just a blog?
For sure. Even though many of our WordPress theme demos are set up as a website, you can easily use any theme as a normal blog. You would simply need to remove all the “Home” widgets on your Widgets page, and then your blog posts will display on the front page!
How/where do you provide support?
What does support include?
Our support team is happy to help answer any questions pertaining to the installation and setup of your 17th Avenue theme. Any further customizations beyond what is shown in the demo (fonts, colors, layout changes, etc) is not covered under support.
Do you have tutorials available?
What is your refund policy?
Since our themes are digital and can’t be “returned,” we do not offer refunds for our WordPress themes.
If you purchased product that is not instant download (such as installation or a bundle), you can request a refund so long as work has not yet been started.
What payment methods are accepted?
We accept PayPal and all major credit cards.
Is a theme purchase a one-time payment?
Yes, when you purchase a theme, it is a one-time payment. You will not be charged again.