I want to start a website or blog. Where do I start?
What’s the difference between WordPress.org and WordPress.com?
WordPress.com and WordPress.org are similar in a lot of ways, so it’s easy to get them confused. Our themes are only compatible with WordPress.org.
WordPress.com is a free, hosted blogging service run by a company called Automattic. You’ll get a domain that looks something like this: http://yourname.wordpress.com. WordPress.com does not allow themes, plugins, or advertising. You have limited control over what you can do/add to your blog.
WordPress.org is open source software that gives you complete control of your site and allows you to use themes and plugins – the best parts of WordPress! WordPress.org is often referred to as “self-hosted WordPress.” Self-hosted means that you host your domain with a third party hosting company, like Bluehost (the host we use).
Note: It’s a common misconception that to use WordPress.org, you to have a domain ending in “.org.” Absolutely not! You can use .com, .net, .co – anything you want.
How can I tell if I’m using WordPress.com or WordPress.org? The easiest way to tell is to ask yourself: do I have hosting or did I sign up directly on WordPress? If you have hosting, you’re using WordPress.org. If you signed up on WordPress.com, then you’re using WordPress.com.
If you’re still not sure which one you’re using, contact us and we can help!
How does buying a theme work?
- Once you have a domain and hosting, choose a theme you love and purchase it.
- After placing your order, you will receive an email with a link to download your new theme.
- Unzip the file to access the theme files and instructions inside.
- Follow the included Installation Instructions and Theme Documentation to set up the theme on your site. If you need help, our support team is always happy to answer your questions.
- Launch your beautiful new website!
Are your themes compatible with WordPress.com?
No. Even if you have an upgraded WordPress.com account, you cannot upload third-party themes to a WordPress.com site. Our WordPress themes will only work on Wordpress.org, also known as self-hosted WordPress.
What do I need in order to use a 17th Avenue theme?
To use a 17th Avenue WordPress theme, you will need to have three things:
- A domain name
- WordPress.org software installed on your domain
Not sure what these are? Click here for a detailed WordPress Getting Started Guide!
What happens after I purchase a theme?
What platforms are your themes for?
Our primary focus is WordPress.org, but we do have a small number of Blogger templates available as well. We do not design for WordPress.com, Wix, Weebly, Shopify, or Squarespace.
How does theme installation work?
- Purchase the installation package that corresponds to your type of theme (either Premium or Simple). You can purchase installation along with your theme, or you separately later.
- After placing your order, fill out the Premium Installation Form or Simple Installation Form with all of your details and preferences.
- Once we receive your form, your installation will be booked into our schedule. Regular installation is completed in 5-7 business days, and 24-hour installation is completed within 24 hours.
- After we install your theme, you’ll receive an email letting you know installation is complete. Then you’ll be ready to launch your beautiful new website!
Which installation package do I need?
Can you install and set up my theme for me?
Can I use a theme on multiple websites?
Once you purchase a theme, it’s yours forever! You can use it on an unlimited number of websites for personal or client use.
Can I use my own logo?
Of course! Every theme comes with instructions that explains how to upload your own custom logo into the theme.
Can I use a website-style theme as just a blog?
For sure. Even though many of our WordPress theme demos are set up as a website, you can easily use any theme as a normal blog. You would simply need to remove all the “Home” widgets on your Widgets page, and then your blog posts will display on the front page!
Do you have tutorials available?
How/where do you provide support?
What does support include?
Our support team is happy to help answer any questions pertaining to the installation and setup of your 17th Avenue theme. Any further customizations beyond what is shown in the demo (fonts, colors, layout changes, etc) is not covered under support.
Is a theme purchase a one-time payment?
Yes, when you purchase a theme, it is a one-time payment. You will not be charged again.
What is your refund policy?
Since our themes are digital and can’t be “returned,” we do not offer any refunds for our Wordpress or Blogger themes.
If you purchased product that is not instant download (such as installation or a bundle), you can request a refund so long as work has not yet been started.
What payment methods are accepted?
We accept PayPal and all major credit cards.